Tuesday 10 May 2022

The Darkest Minds 2018 by AverageMansReviews

The Darkest Minds 2018 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time

Warning: there is flashing effects/colourful effects/child-abuse/torture/medical

So what do you want me to do with this?: There is this illness which affects 90% of children and teenagers in the USA, I.A.A.N [Idiopathic Adolescent Acute Neurodegeneration.] So you have basically 3 options; 1. Imprisonment if you are found to have mutant abilities. Where we find out this risk assessment system; at the bottom of this pyramid Green; higher intelligence, Blue; telekinesis abilities, Gold; electrical abilities, Red; Dangerous; fire abilities and Oranges; Lethal; telepathic and mind control abilities. Option 2. If the Children's League find you; you can join them, one of their founding members is Catherine "Cate" Connor [Mandy Moore] which they are fighting for mutants to be free and able to live their lives. Option 3. You can always try and go it alone or find other mutants to live with and hopefully find this individual known as "Slip Kidd"/another name Orange [Patrick Gibson.] Ruby Daly; Oranges [Younger; Lidya Jewett/Older; Amandla Stenberg] does after escaping from the first two options.

As I have recently just stated so what do you want me to do with this? Because on some research, this film is based on one of four novels a series that has the same name Written by Alexandra Bracken. So this film on every single level does what it is designed to do which is to lay down the foundations for the other novels to go on top. Yes I have just said it does what it is designed to do, but consequently and obviously 99% of this film is so generic, the timing of this film is roughly 105 minutes I mean I usually bring up the pacing but I can't really criticise it, because it is just doing what it is designed to do.

The positives I am going to point out would be the scenery or the scenery with many lights in some capacity and the first section of the closing credits as they use their colour system like a rainbow using them [which I have already made reference to in this review,] to lighten up like thunder these images and these Red mutants being unleashed and this battle sequence between Ruby Daly [Amandla Stenberg] vs. "Slip Kidd" [Patrick Gibson;] these are all good.

The character developments and performances; well as I have repeatedly made reference to but in different ways they are following their character types for this kind of film with solid performances.

This film receives: 4/10, this film is mixed; I have given you some time to think about that one gigantic problem that this film has and yes if you have paid attention you would have read I did say this novel is one of four and so on and so forth. On the same research I have also discovered that just come back as things stand in 2022, I know things are highly unlikely to change, but my point is this; there is unlikely to be a sequel, which in essence makes his film a complete waste of time. Because it does nothing spectacular other than what it is designed to do. Which I strongly don't like this way of doing films, because it is a lazy way to attempt to make money and if it had succeeded more [it had a profit margin of $6 million] we would maybe got a sequel, I know that the film industry is about making money. But when it comes to projects such as these I want them to either back it by giving it a two films contract and then see how things are or don't give it the green light in the first place. Basically what I'm saying is put your money where your mouth is or don't attempt to milk another franchise of any kind.

Still on research Marvel, will where I read it from is said the MCU [Marvel Cinematic Universe] but I say "Hell No" I hasten to add there are no signs of the word Marvel in this film or you know any credits to tell us Marvel are connected to this project but I would agree where they said the X-Men section you know in the area of the TV program The Gifted 2017-2019 [but on a quick side note this TV program was good and it doesn't deserve to have the dreaded word cancellation associated with it, I would have preferred the word completion, yes this was around about the time that the big mouse came in purchased many companies to run it on its own subscription service known as Disney+, so who knows what would have happened to this TV program if this business deal didn't transpire, maybe another season or two but who knows.] The New Mutants 2020, all three of these projects are done in generally speaking the same kind of content and tone which yes these two separate film projects have identically the same problems; The New Mutants 2020 if you want to read my thoughts on it Link https://averagemansreviews2017.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-new-mutants-2020-by.html

But back to this film it has some awards accredited to its name; 1 Winner SXSW Film Festival 2019; SXSW Film Design Award - Special Jury Recognition Excellence in Title Design Michelle Dougherty. Nominees 3 an example Golden Trailer Awards 2019 Golden Trailer Best International Poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment