Saturday, 3 October 2026

Sweeney Todd 2006 by AverageMansReviews

Sweeney Todd 2006 by AverageMansReviews


Review Time

Warning: there is flashing effects/colourful effects/stabbing/cutting/dismemberment/drugs/suicide/child abuse/disfigurement/decomposing/dismemberment/visual representation of capital punishment/medical/references to abortion and colonisation

I mean I wanted a shave but not that close: briefly; we meet Sweeney Todd [Younger: Unknown/Older: Ray Winstone:] he is the Barber of Fleet Street, the performance of our medical/other tasks as well like thinning down the population of these surroundings, he also meets and assists Matthew [Tom Hardy:] basically he is a Police Officer of these times and first meets Mr. Todd when he needs a bullet removed from somewhere around his shoulder.

Generally speaking: the storyline/script is a good interpretation of the subject matter; the framework is of one that goes full circle and the pacing of this 90 minutes film is good

Art and action; the set designs, wardrobe and accessories have to be given praise for their real authentic presentation, I mean as a TV movie they really did push the boat out to bring this war to live and on top of that with all things considered they did the best with what they had to make these graphic action sequences from time to time.

Character developments and performances; the character developments have a slightly different exposition to what I'm used to from this story, in this interpretation they bring his father into it performed by David Bradley [better known as Argus Filch: the caretaker Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from the Harry Potter film series] and on top of that for by and large they made Todd a lone wolf in his endeavours, yes later on he does have some assistance. On reflection I think it is only fair that yes Winstone put in a very powerful performance as Sweeney Todd; but he is supported by an excellent cast around him; so this is very much a cast performance and I will reflect that in my marking.

This film receives: 9/10, this film is excellent; I really don't mind slightly different interpretations, but there is one golden rule and if you think about it... it makes perfect sense; which is simply put make it makes sense, which it does. This film also has some awards accredited to its name such as 1 Winner Shanghai International TV Festival 2006 Magnolia Award Best Actor Ray Winstone and 1 Nominee Banff Television Festival 2006 Banff Rockie Award Best Made-for-TV Movie Gub Neal David Moore Joshua St Johnston UK

 

No comments:

Post a Comment