Saturday, 8 August 2026

New Jack City 1991 by AverageMansReviews

New Jack City 1991 by AverageMansReviews

Related content: One Hour Photo 2002 Link https://averagemansreviews2017.blogspot.com/2026/08/one-hour-photo-2002-by.html


Review Time

Warning: there is flashing effects/colourful effects/shooting/drugs/man on woman violence/stabbing/cutting/medical and because I am fully aware of the current climate we are in; in the modern times of 2026; I better put out a trigger warning that at some point/points I will be discussing race.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s in Harlem: briefly; this gang called "CMB" [Cash Money Brothers;] led by Nino Brown [Wesley Snipes:] it is easy to see why he is the leader of this gang; as he didn't come up with a recipe to create this new drug known as "Crack Cocaine" or "Crack," but let's just say he is the right man to turn it into a business empire, what with his presence and charisma.  Det. Stone [Mario Van Peebles:] gets tasked to put a pairing together to take down Brown and his empire; so individually he finds these two detectives that no one else wants to work with including they don't want to work with each other either in Det. Scotty Appleton and Det. Nick Peretti [Ice T/Ice-T:] at one point or another you will discover that individually; they will be carrying something drug-related for the rest of their lives; Benny "Pookie" Robinson [Chris Rock:] is a crack addict.

Generally speaking: the storyline/script is in-depth and clear in its purpose, the framework including exposition character developments; in the form of news reports and pacing of this 100 minute film is by and large all good; the pacing can be slow from time to time

Action and art; now obviously we get some turf war violence, but we get some street basketball elements as well including; one artistic message left on the concrete in what seems to be a spray paint; the message is drug-related.

Character developments, comedy and performances; the character developments are good versions of what they are meant to be, including the subtly elegant, yet slightly comical reference to Scarface 1983 [where we have this film playing in one scene; with New Jack City; following a vaguely similar line just being a up-to-date alternative version of it;] but it is completely down to the performances of this cast; as they all put across in a really raw authentic approach to the success as it relates to Brown, but much more importantly devastation of this drug and it was/is vitally important that Det. Peretti/Nelson made this reference; broadly speaking; Drugs don't discriminate as he is a Caucasian performer mixed in with I am just going to cover my back here and say predominately if 99% with an African-American cast; to indicate regardless of if you do discriminate against one another; drugs don't! Snipes leads this cast with class and one hell of a state presence as he goes through this rise to power and whilst I'm here Rock should gotten some positive recognition in the form of some nominees for this performance; as a comedian/performer as I have already said something similar about Robin Williams in the related content; because they are able to be fluently able to read the situation they can switch and push personality traits that they need and that specific time; in short there is Rock's recognition? I mean if I wasn't already going to give the mark I am, I would have treated Rock the same way I treated Williams.

This film receives: 10/10, this film is top-notch entertainment; meaning it takes a hard look at crack cocaine; the only sad thing about this film is; as of this content being first created in 2026; that means roughly speaking we have had 35 years of crack cocaine being still an issue, to begin with there is an ongoing seen underneath the closing credits and this film as some awards accredited to his name; such as 1 Winner Image Awards (NAACP) 1992 Image Award Outstanding Lead Actor in a Motion Picture Wesley Snipes and 6 Nominees including but not limited to MTV Movie + TV Awards 1992 MTV Movie Award Best Breakthrough Performance Ice-T

 

No comments:

Post a Comment