Once Upon a Crime... 1992 by AverageMansReviews
Review Time
Warning: there is flashing effects/colourful
effects/decomposing/animal cruelty/drugs/medical
Someone capture
that dog! Oh now we are in line for a murder case of a person: briefly; we need some characters such as Neil and Marilyn Schwary
[James/Jim Belushi and Cybill Shepherd:] a husband and wife that have been
together for 10 years; Neil twice a year makes this journey to basically look
at the latest fashion and then make cheaper knockoffs and he also has a system
for the roulette wheel, his wife is quite submissive in the early stages
anyway, they/we meet Augie Morosco [John Candy:] a retired/recovering addiction
to gambling specifically the roulette wheel after he lost everything including
but not limited to businesses, he is just purchased this dog from another pair
of characters, all of these characters will eventually be suspects in the murder
[and at some points we will meet our Director for this film; Eugene Levy as
Casino Cashier.]
Generally speaking: the storyline/script is to begin with somewhat fragmented as we meet
different characters in their own storyline and with the framework and pacing
being I'm going to go with slightly eccentric as in you never know where you
are going to go off next, so the comedy likewise has that eccentric feeling to
things, I mean things at some point do have or find themselves in a better
order of things which gives the comedy space to breathe a little bit before the
next one coming element of it; in hindsight I get it with what they were trying
to do; I believe that they were trying to make things disorganised for then
later on so it could be verbally reconstructed in this investigation; which
feeds back into the character developments of these suspects in the future so
as I said earlier I get it; but at the time you may be thinking; what the hell
are we doing? So broadly speaking I would say the framework and pacing of this;
94 minutes is good
Comedy and action; as I have already referenced; the comedy can be
seen as eccentric but good fun, be it gambling at the casino; be it the ups and
downs, medical situation and attempt of a fight or/and at one point or another
dealing with a dead body and consequently this dog [which I should just point
out the dog is absolutely fine he just gets placed on a bus] or/and this
ongoing lighter situation or/and having to re-enact this escape; but clearly
being too big to pull it off [because I am fully aware of the world we live in
2026; I am not body shaming, but at the same time that is the whole point of
this particular skit/sequence of events.]
Character developments and performances; other than what I have
already referenced; we have the old yet reliable outlay of at the heart of this
film all these characters have their issues or/and needs hence why they are all
involved in one way or another in this complicated adventure/crime and this is
very much a cast performance all working off one another and being the biggest
asset to this film by some distance, because without them this film would have
absolutely fallen on its face.
This film receives: 8/10, this film is excellent; I think after all is said and done even
though for a little while we have a very rocky beginning, the comedy, the
enthusiastic nature and the chemistry of the cast really do hold this entire
project together, there is an ongoing sequence underneath the ending credits
and yes this film has 1 accredited award to its name, but unfortunately it is
negative; Razzie Awards 1993 Worst Supporting Actress Sean Young: as Phoebe:
she is another individual that participates in this wacky adventure/crime.
No comments:
Post a Comment