Monday 17 October 2022

Assault on Devil's Island 1997 by AverageMansReviews

Assault on Devil's Island 1997 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time

Warning: there is flashing effects/colourful effects/scenes of war/disturbing/shooting/drugs/terrorism/breaking/medical

Basically what we have here is something like The A-Team: let's focus on the main storyline; Mike McBride [Terry Hulk Hogan] is clearly having a problem with PTSD, about what happened during his serving time. After The Shadow Warriors achieve their latest mission, he sees this wanted/bounty for Kyle Reynolds a.k.a. Sirkisin [considering I don't have the character name on the list I got the first name off watching part of the film again, but I couldn't get the correct spelling of his a.k.a. so I tried showing it, so apologies if I have spelt it incorrectly, I probably have but never mind it can’t be helped and on top of that I don't know or have the performer's name so it is unknown.] He is the source of McBride's PTSD as Sirkisin is responsible for let's just go with taking down McBride's unit as in a nutshell he is a bioengineer. But McBride is reassured by Roy Brown [Carl Weathers] it isn't him, but McBride wants to find out for himself.

Like the storyline everything about this film is straightforward; so the pacing is mobile, even though towards the end of this 89 minutes film I was beginning to fall asleep and this is one of those films that has this incredibly noticeable background music thing going on [where it is firstly obvious and secondly it is designed to tell you the viewer how to feel about this situation; it is absolutely garbage really.]

Art; we have some beautiful landscape moments such as for an example Grazbruck, Austria and not give you everything good way in this part of the world, but there is a good action sequence and comedy between McBride with Brown.

The only reason I don't want to talk about this is so that I can highlight this instead; Andy Powers [Martin Kove] is our Modoc out of this group, not exactly like Murdoc from The A-Team, but something like him; he is intelligent, but he has also been down somewhere too long and it has made him go a little bit best described as a bit loopy and he also pilots a helicopter/chopper which in this example he is in this helicopter/chopper in mid-air and he just picked up this rocket launcher which is next to him and fired it at this rocket [as in rocket; rocket not arsenal from a weapon] and yes because he is intelligent but sometimes loopy he can be comical. On reflection I have chosen to reward this project another mark, based on what Martin Kove as Andy Powers brings to the table which as you can see is a lot of positivity and a excellent performance.

The character developments and the performances are [minus what I just said in the previous paragraph] are what they are; reliable versions of their character types with passable performance.

This film receives: 3/10, this film is poor; yes I have highlighted some of the positives which this film has to offer, but on the whole this is a fair outcome. It has and does follow a reliable format for an action film. But if there are any fans of Hulk Hogan still out there or better yet Carl Weatherly [from the Rocky/referenced in Creed franchise as Apollo Creed and yes I know Hulk Hogan was in Rocky III 1982 as Thunderlips] and/or Martin Kove The Karate Kid franchise including Cobra Kai the TV series and a couple of appearances on AEW, when this was first dictated then take a look at this film, but I really wouldn't expect too much.

On a quick side note; I did notice one name on the cast list, but I don't remember seeing him in the film and it was Billy Blanks as Creagan, the only reason I bring this up is because he was in a of what I remember a good film by the name of Back in Action 1994 with him as the lead role/lead partnership with Roddy Piper and full disclosure yes I did research this before I put it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment