Pay-Per-View Rewind of: WWF/WWE Royal Rumble 24/01/1993 Match 5 Part 5/Conclusion by AverageMansReviews - Spoiler Alarm!
Warning: there is
flashing effects/colourful effects/reference to racism
Match/Stipulations: "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. Bob Backlund:
Royal Rumble Match: Additional: two men start this match and every 30 seconds
another participant enters up to 30 men, they must go over the top rope and
both feet have to touch the floor to be eliminated, the last one standing is
the winner and they have booked their place to face the WWF Champion Bret
"The Hitman" Hart at WrestleMania IX in the main event for the WWF
Championship
Match
Attributes:
Match
Quality: 6/10
Match
Slot Storyline: 6/10
Crowd
Participation: 10/10
On
Commentary: Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby "The Brain"
Heenan/"Wiesel" 8/10
Satisfying
Conclusion: 7/10
Recommend
Watch: 7/10
Match Total: 44/60 - this match/match slot is good
Comments: Backlund performs a really sloppy back body drop to the
point where Flair takes a solid bump, it looks like Backlund ducks his head and
what happens is; Flair's take off is not exactly central [meaning Backlund on
ducking his head isn't central with Flair's body,] Flair goes up wonky and over
and down as I have already indicated with a bump. Without giving too much away,
but obviously putting a little bit more substance/content here: I am really
disappointed with the performance of Papa Shango here, he was one of my
favourite gimmicks which lasted from 1992-1993. Whenever this character is
discussed, I just don't think we've already for this character/gimmick. Max
Moon does the same spot with Flair as it relates to the back body drop, but
Moon goes over their shoulder not the central one from earlier on, but at least this time Flair has
a safer rotation and life completion. Flair: for some strange reason he helps
Virgil back into the ring by sling shot in him from outside on the ring apron,
back into the ring, this was just stupid.
The
crowd pop big time for Mr. Perfect when he enters this Royal Rumble Match and a
little later the crowd gave even a bigger pop for The Undertaker with Paul
Bearer entrance, The Berzerker takes out Backlund with a chair shot. I mean I
get it; it is a spot designed so that Backlund can have a break. But
considering at this point The Berzerker hasn't been eliminated from this match.
Like I said in theory I get this rest point, but it does takeaway the focus of
what is happening in the ring whilst this is going on.
Well
this Royal Rumble Match just completely came off the rails as there is a big
interference from Giant González I wish I could use stronger language in my
content, but when I began creating content roughly one an half decades ago I
put something in place that prohibited me from using adult language; when I
said there is no adult language references to be used in my content. But
however I can use softer adult language references; such as they really did
mess the bed on this one, I can't tell you how much they really screwed up
here, because this match slot was moving at a positive momentum and now it is
as I have already indicated completely derailed, I mean; if we really had to do
this; why couldn't they wait until the final 6 are in the ring with with number
30 just stepping into the ring, with the last 5 just going on beneath the
bottom rope not to get involved in this situation, even having Yokozuna
going/giving the body language of I am not even picking this fight, so I am
just going to stand on the ring steps until these two sort themselves out; at
least mine idea would hopefully in theory give this main event some of its
consistency back, because as I have repeatedly said it goes off the rails and
eventually it does get some momentum back, but not as much as it was rattling
along and obviously because of this interference, we have the commentary team
talking about this interference and actually taking the focus of this match
even though they are still talking about it or basically they could have had
the final three and this interference takes place, they could have used it
better to protect The Undertaker better then what they did, in a nutshell they
could've done this whole thing of interference entirely better then what they
went with.
Tatanka
is another wrestler that the crowd pop big for, Monsoon says on commentary
tremendous Royal Rumble and I would like to say really? After that massive
interference which has completely deflated this main event, yes the crowd are still
here for this main event, but in my opinion the word tremendous is a massive
stretch to the point where if it was an elastic band it would be getting
stretched just slightly behind its breaking moment. Then we have the commentary
team sometime later praising this event, well I think by now I have made my
opinions quite clear on this match slot. Monsoon makes a mistake on commentary
on in a nutshell mistaking Rick Martel for Carlos Colón, but he does apologise
and he does get some shtick from Heenan and Randy Savage gets a massive pop
from the audience in attendance.
Basic
Results: Yokozuna is your victory here and alongside Mr. Fuji has now booked
his place to face the WWF Champion Hart in the main event of WrestleMania IX
for the WWF Championship.
Basic
walk-through of this event:
*
Caesar and Cleopatra's music hits, with Gorilla Monsoon Commentary: handing
things over to Howard Finkel/The Finkel to make things official off-screen,
meanwhile Yokozuna and Mr. Fuji are going through a ritual with Monsoon still
providing commentary [Heenan will say things later] with Caesar and Cleopatra
heading down to the ring to basically escort Yokozuna and Mr. Fuji to
WrestleMania IX as they all head to the back [with some of their extras holding
the curtain open for them:] with Monsoon sending us to some
stills/photographs/montage with music of the pay-per-view we have just seen and
at the last moment we have Yokozuna with Mr. Fuji with photographers getting
lots of pictures and who should interrupt this moment in time? Well it is our
current WWF Champion Hart in a nutshell basically getting the face of Yokozuna
and basically indicating it is You vs. Me for this championship and then
walking out.
This
Pay-Per-View receives: 9/10, this
pay-per-view is excellent: the crowd were consistently here for this
pay-per-view, I know I have made this obvious but in its entirety there is only
one major downfall and is the massive interference angle other than that I
would have gave this pay-per-view full marks as every match slot is a positive
and usually I wouldn't be so critical, but as I have said many times now at
different points, because this interference isn't a quick interference it
completely is a detriment to this main event, so I had to take a mark off and I
really do miss this style of outlay of wrestling events, I'm not being
gatekeeper here, I'm strictly talking about the outlay so it has very little to
do with wrestling, it just feels like this pay-per-view had lots happening in
it, with a bit of space so you could have a breather and then move on, so it
always felt like you were engaged in something, in a nutshell am not a fan of
the WWE advertising thing of any kind between matches or segments unless it is
wrestling related, so advertising your next event absolutely fine, advertising
merchandise not so fine, using any old footage other than outside of
match/segment we are heading to not so fine.
The
highest ranking match on this Card based on attributes that we see would be: "The Bad Guy" Razor Ramon vs. Champ Bret
"The Hitman" Hart: Singles Match for the WWF Championship & the
right to face the winner of the Royal Rumble Match at WrestleMania IX with
60/60.
The
lowest ranking match on this card based on attributes that we see would be: "The Nature" Boy Ric
Flair vs. Bob Backlund: Royal Rumble Match: Additional: two men start this
match and every 30 seconds another participant enters up to 30 men, they must
go over the top rope and both feet have to touch the floor to be eliminated,
the last one standing is the winner and they have booked their place to face
the WWF Champion Bret "The
Hitman" Hart at WrestleMania IX in the main event for the WWF Championship
with 44/60
No comments:
Post a Comment