Friday 16 June 2023

Allelujah 2022/2023 by AverageMansReviews

Allelujah 2022/2023 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time

Warning: there is bodily functions/drugs/medical

I was very conflicted about this film: in a nutshell we spend some time at this hospital The Bethlehem Hospital, also known as "the Beth" and medical facility is run by Sister Gilpin [Jennifer Saunders:] it isn't said but it is safe to assume that she is a senior nurse, in a few days time she will be getting a medal for her long service or something like that, yes she did say the medal name but I have forgotten it and as you will see this is not the only thing I have forgotten, but they are putting a little ceremony together to celebrate this, but unfortunately this hospital could be closing down sometime in the near future.

The framework and pacing of this 99 minutes film; because at some point throughout this content I will be making reference to it again in a different context, all I will say here is; it is well structured to moves along at a good pace and to imply more than you think

Comedy: there is a little bit of comedy here and there in the dialogue exchanges.

Generally speaking: I have chosen to do this content this way because there is so much to discuss. I get the meaning of this film is meant to highlight the ongoing problems with the NHS [National Health Service,] I support it because without the NHS or/and it's surrounding departments and other services I wouldn't be alive or able to live my life. I mean we have a father and son at some point in this film; Joe Colman [David Bradley:] a patient of this hospital and Colin Colman [Russell Tovey:] he does say in this film his job title/roll but I have forgotten, but basically he is trying to politically close this place down; talking about olden times like the picketing lines in the sense of down the coal mines and modern times about in a nutshell medical personnel wanting more money, where we basically have there are no more picketing lines, but I was thinking yes we do essentially yes we do, we have junior doctors and nurses, teachers and other people on strike.

I should just point out very quickly I have just began with something relatively small in comparison to what else I have to say so in no way shape or form am I clutching at straws here, as I have already said I was thinking I would begin with something small.

Before I continue I would like to state this one more time I support the NHS. But we come to this section of this film which absolutely destroys this positive highlighting and it is where I am deliberately being vague here a nurse is knowingly and willingly bringing harm to her patients that are incredibly vulnerable. To the point where I watched this film with the person I watched some of these films with and I said "I can't condone this." In fact this person and I have spoken about this film at some length today [when this content was being created] where I am paraphrasing here; this person said it was a pleasant little film and I agreed with her. But then we have what happened and then other name/Dr. Valentine [Bally Gill:] a doctor and yes he does explain why he doesn't use his real name, right at the beginning of this film, but I can't remember it.

But I digress as he and other medical people are dealing with COVID-19 pandemic medically stripping off and breaking the fourth wall to give us this  monologue about the NHS, which the person and I thought this was one step too far after discussing it. Because throughout this film when this film is good it, it moves in feels like a genuine hospital so let's just say the audience can very easily understand the subtext of what is being said and what is happening and including Dr. Valentine narration from time to time as well.

Because even before this downfall of this film I was going to praise it for being a good film with lots of meaningful subtext that put it out there, but allows the audience to pick up on it for themselves. But for what happened; happened this film was going to get a comfortable 6/10 but I can't in all good consciousness give it now. I was originally going to give this film 3/10, but whilst I was just about finished creating it, my brain got thinking as I have already made reference to as this film uses subtext, I am now thinking and this is just my opinion and speculation. With this dangerous person being able to harm these vulnerable people is this film trying to suggest that if the NHS was better funded there would be more staff to pick up on this behaviour sooner and if so this is appalling.

Character developments and performances: from everyone in this cast they do a good job especially Jennifer Saunders as the person I watched this film with said I am paraphrasing she leads this cast very well indeed.

This film receives: 1/10, this film is poor; the person I watched this film with would know and back me up here and say I was very conflicted about this film; on one hand I get and support what they were trying to do and say here. On the other hand I refuse to overlook a section of this film and this monologue especially when I know who it was aimed for and I'm guessing/my speculating here again it was for the politicians. But at no point in this monologue does he give respect to the ones that support the NHS from any background or/and without getting too political, but this is a fair point nonetheless they told us in 2016 that Brext would mean so much more money for the NHS, to support our NHS; so why is our NHS and surrounding services including one example any form of incoming care on its knees?

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment