Monday 3 April 2023

Recommendation of: WWE WrestleMania 39/2023: Night 1 by AverageMansReviews

Recommendation of: WWE WrestleMania 39/2023: Night 1 by AverageMansReviews

Warning/Disclaimer/Biting warning/blood warning/adult language warning: there is flashing effects/colourful effects/biting warning/adult language warning/blood warning

John Cena [with Make-A-Wish kids] vs. Champ Austin Theory; Singles Match for the WWE United States Championship: to start off with we had to wait roughly 16 minutes before any actual wrestling, so I was already getting a little bit bored, but moving on; well all I can say about this is this happened, it was boring and the only bit I liked was Cena giving appreciation to the crowd for remembering him and accepting him still after all this time before he does the five-knuckle shuffle, so because of this I decided to add another mark and this is where the biting warning comes into effect. This match/match slot receives: 5/10.

Braun Strowman & Ricochet vs. The Street Profits: Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford vs. Alpha Academy: Chad Gable & Otis vs. The Viking Raiders: Erik & Ivar [with Valhalla;] Men's WrestleMania Showcase Fatal Four-Way Tag Team Match: this is really where this Premium Live Event kicked off, we had Titus O'Neil on commentary for this match with our usual suspects Corey Graves and Michael Cole and on reflection it would have been nice to keep O'Neil on commentary for this entire event, he does seem to be enthusiastic, but then again with this match it was quite easy to be after a little time everyone seemed to say screw it let's just go for spot after spot. This match/match slot receives: 9/10.

Seth Rollins vs. Logan Paul [with Prime drink sponsor;] Singles Match: the damage to this match/match slot was done in Paul's entrance and before I continue yes I know it is in the style of HBK "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels entrance from WrestleMania IIX/12/1996. But experienced wrestling fans would know that was not the first thing that came to my mind how about WWF Over The Edge 1999 where The Blue Blazer a.k.a. Owens Hart tragically fell to his death. You see I am of that generation that still remembers where I was when I was watching this pay-per-view, I will be completely honest and say when this happened I was under the impression it was a wrestling angle, you see even back then I was well educated in the ways of how the WWE was being ran, I remember taxing my cousin saying something to the effect of this has to be a wrestling angle.

It does take a lot for me to be unsettled, but this is most definitely one thing that will do the job. Consequently I was furious with the WWE hierarchy for allowing this entrance and all I can say about this match is it was good, but as you can tell I was not best pleased and thrown off my game, I am not going to lie it had a knock-on effect for the next two matches and then I had to go and get some sleep, because I had to be somewhere else the next day and I couldn't wing it and just to cover my back I have done some research just in case someone came back at me and said they did something similar with Sting with in his time in the WWE, I have looked and it didn't come up with any results in a nutshell yes in WCW, but no not in WWE and seeing Paul doing his usual arrogant stick on top, just was in bad taste and put me in a foul mood, let's just say I just can't put any of the wording that I said here, yes I could adapt it to put it here, but there would be so much of it, I went from being hopeful after the previous match/match slot to outraged of the highest order. Yes the younger generation can say I got triggered by this, but let's be fair and balanced, when someone died from making a entrance that involves coming down using a method that involves any form of high ground like this, you are absolutely correct, I am not going to forget this even though it was roughly 24 years ago. So with trying to put this to one side this match/match slot was good. This match/match slot receives: 7/10.

Damage CTRL: Bayley, Dakota Kai & Iyo Sky vs. Trish Stratus, the WWE Women's Tag Team Champions Lita & Becky Lynch; Six-Woman Tag Team Match: keeping in mind with what I have just said in the last match/match slot, I was still furious and unable to settle down, but generally speaking this was a very paint by numbers slot. This match/match slot receives: 7/10.

Rey Mysterio vs. The Judgement Day's Dominik Mysterio; Singles Match: it was a lovely gesture from Rey to in one way or another incorporate another legendary wrestler which is also sadly not whether is any more in Eddie Guerrero. So let's make this brief because of basically aimed is going to repeat myself here, taking into consideration what I have just indicated this was also a paint by numbers match outlay. This match/match slot receives: 7/10.

The Judgemrent Day's Rhea Ripley vs. Champ Charlotte Flair; Singles Match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship: this is one of those matches that lived up to its expectations. Even though there was a few minor botches Ripley goes in for a small package, but things don't completely go the right way, but as a main eventer she quickly adapts the pin to a different kind of pin. I would say this is more of a hard style then a botch Ripley performs a version of a release German suplx but Flair gets pancake on the mat, to the point where you can see over time a little bit of blood on the bridge of her nose. Corey Graves missed calls Ripley's finish "Eradicator" even when Michael Cole called it "Riptide" a little time previous before this. Finally for some strange reason now and again at the beginning of this match the crowd were quite so much so you can hear Flair saying an adult phrasing and later on in this match Ripley says an adult phrasing as well, so this is why there is a blood warning and a adult language warning here. This match/match slot receives: 8/10.

The Miz vs. Mystery opponent; The Miz's Open Challenge Singles Match: this provides a welcome bit of comedy with a solidly good match. This match/match slot receives: 7/10.

Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. Champs The Bloodline's The Usos: Jey & Jimmy Uso; Tag Team Match for the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championships: straight off the bat what garbage is Graves talking about? He says I am paraphrasing here if Owens the illegal touches the legal Usos, it will force a disqualification and the tag team dream goes up in smoke. I would say yes if Owens breaks the five count to get out of the ring, but Graves is making it sound/implying if Owens doesn't once the dream is over which is complete garbage. But Graves says absolutely nothing about Jimmy cheap shot Owens in his corner, in fact he praises these twins about doing the standard of cutting off the ring and that kind of stick and just out of interest a few minutes later when Jimmy is the illegal man, but getting involved over the ring ropes Graves still says absolutely nothing about it. This commentary by Graves is heavily one-sided, in this example the twins do tag but Graves points out Owens is hitting on the illegal one, basically if you haven't seen this match yet at this point Owens it is the classic battling wrestler hitting anything that moves that is all. But Graves doesn't say anything negative about a certain spot in this match, when it happens you'll know what I mean, but generally speaking/eventually he does say is some nice things about the babyface team. But I had to take a mark off for this commentary, I get it he was the heel commentator here, but he hadn’t been pushing this persona this hard all night, so why start now. There is also a technical issue, well not really a technical issue just more of a wrestling blooper where one of the camera people get too close to the wrestlers in the far top corner nearest the commentary tables and you can hear Owens communicating to Jey when he picks up Owens from sitting up in the corner to a standing position in the corner, Owens says something about a super kick and then the camera person quickly backup and then low and behold we get a tag and a double super kick.

But for the wrestling and storytelling I have decided to give the mark I will give, based on the fact that this is another match the delivered and finally there is an adult language warning as well. This match/match slot receives: 9/10.

The average mark of this pay-per-view is: 7/10, I went with this mark simply based on the fact it appears most frequently here and mixed in with 16 minutes for the first match/match slot to begin which is a no thank you for me and the whole Blue Blazer/Owen Hart meltdown I had here, I never ever want to see the WWE do anything involving zip wires or anything that involves anything from this area ever again, yes I don't care if it is over 20 years, 40 years or 60 years or 100 years after I am no longer here out of respect for Owen Hart all of this should be banned never to be used again in this company out of god dam respect and just to cover my back, if it has happened and I can't remember or don't know or have forgotten or anything else my opinion still remains the same out of respect it has no place in this company any more.

I will bring this up again on the second night in the conclusion section, because what I have decided to do is on these two parter events is this; now I have given a mark it is up to the second night to either keep it or improve on it or as I have already seen or heard about the second night more than likely lose it, I know some of the results already, but I am still going to watch it and do the time.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment