Friday 23 October 2020

Tomboy 2016/2017 [alternative name The Assignment] by AverageMansReviews

Tomboy 2016/2017 [alternative name The Assignment] by AverageMansReviews

Review Time

Warning: straight off the bat, I just want to say this to cover my back; if these things weren't in this film, I wouldn't be discussing them in the first place. So there may be some transgender people out there in Internet land that either may find this film difficult to watch or offensive.

There is a transgender component/psychiatric component/medical procedures/body parts/animal cruelty/flashing effects/colourful effects/drugs/shot in the head.

Storyline/Transgender/Characters/Performances: now in one way or another these six components [including the pacing and on-screen chemistry] are in one way or another linked I may as well put them all together here.

The storyline is good, but it gets left on a question-mark ending with a monologue from our lead character/performer Kitchen/Rodriguez "One thing is for sure change is going to come." [This is just an excerpt wrong] and a little bit of research there are no signs of a sequel [as of when this review was first dictated] which in turn makes this monologue absolutely a waste of time and the pacing is good.

Moving on; now if you have been following me for long enough you know I don't want to give too much of the film away, but in this case [because I have already tried to dictate this section and basically it was somewhat messy.] I will do it this way; so without giving too much away but enough so I can get my point out and not receive any backlash.

In short Rodriquez is performing as Frank Kitchin a man, which goes through this transgender procedure [not by choice.] My point here is; so we have men and women having sex including man Frank Kitchin/Rodriquez and woman Johnnie/Gerard as sleeping friends, but we don't get to see women Frank Kitchin/Rodriquez and her girlfriend Johnnie/Gerard have sex which I have to say this sticks out like a sore thumb, [I know Kitchin/Rodriguez; she replies to a medical professional question; that she is still a little bit sore, but this is after the scene I am discussing, I am sure this is true but at the same time in this situation she is giving him a lot of misinformation, because it wouldn't be wise to tell him the truth but what is much, much, much more important is the answers to her questions.] I was thinking I would just highlight this; just in case someone comes back to me in the future and had a dig at me [on a quick side note; if you ever wondered why I point things out sometimes it is just to prevent negative feedback of any description.]

I mean if you are going to use a sensitive component like transgender you have to avoid doing a poor error in judgment here; so basically treat every sex scene as the same or don't show them.

The character developments, performances and the on-screen chemistry is all good; with the names I have already mentioned we also have Dr. Galen/Shalhoub and Doctor Jane/Weaver, one is intelligent and the other is best described as 99% of the time the smartest one in the room and she doesn't mind showing it or telling you or basically she is completely aware that she functions and works on a different plane of existence to everyone else [when the viewers meet this character/performer; you will completely understand that I am not even exaggerating,] let's put it this way she and Dr. Lecter [from The Silence of the Lambs 1991 film,] could absolutely have some intellectual conversations. Slightly moving on to Kitchin/Rodriquez and Doctor Jane/Weaver; these two characters/performers make excellent adversaries and you can understand their motivation if extremely dark and twisted as it relates to Doctor Jane/Weaver [just for the record I don’t condone this in the slightest,] but in a film sense this is excellent and understandable motivation on both sides of these two adversaries.

Action/Art: these two components are either they are what they are or they are good. There are weapons being used and combat. The art; it comes to the audience in the style of anime black, white, gray shading with colour or we have these black-and-white with gray shading portraits of William Shakespeare and Edgar Allan Poe [the viewers get to see one portrayed of each person, but it gets put across the screen three different times in total] and keep a lookout for the character known as Poncho, I don't know if this is his real name as well, I couldn't find it. But it looks to be a lovely dog.

This film receives: 7/10, this film is good; as I have already referenced to in this film review; this film may be difficult to watch or offensive to those of the transgender community, but for those that like dark films, give this film a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment