Friday 25 October 2019

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 2019 by AverageMansReviews

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 2019 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: this sequel is mixed

Fundamental elements: there are voice-over elements, cultural elements, background music, no subtitles when another language is being used, slow-motion effects, mental imagery, time jumps and place jumps.

The movement of this sequel is consistently moving, but that is all I can say about that [generally speaking, because I will be discussing this later on at different points in this review the storyline, the character developments/I don't feel comfortable saying the performers are the problem, this will become clear in the character developments/performances section, but everything else in this paragraph stands.]

Back stories/Storyline/Bloopers: early on in this sequel we get a voice-over element [storyteller this only gets used once,] mental imagery and dialogue exchanges, these elements fulfil their purpose and all I can say about the storyline it is heavily predictable, let's just say the Maleficent narrative is good, but the rest not so much and there are three massive bloopers [I don't know how I'm going to discuss these three bloopers; because I realized after watching this and these are fundamental core points to both projects.] But I will try my best not to give too much away, this item is cursed and it has a curse on it specifically for one individual so it shouldn't work on anyone else? On top of that I have more shouldn't the only way to release the individual in question would to do the same thing and finally didn't Maleficent try to lift the curse in the first film and couldn't? So what she does towards the end of this film makes no sense or unless the magic is weaker now [but that would be them clutching at straws a little bit to come up with this] or I may have missed something so just to cover my back I could be wrong here about these three bloopers.

Comedy level: here are two elements for you to look out for/hear; the usage of a crossbow in one scene and pitchforks [listen out for a reference to them.]

Artistic visions/Action sequences: now like its predecessor this project has lots to see and to experience in it; in one way or another such as this highly creative and highly imaginative Queen's head [it something that Batman would use and that is all I'm saying,] musical instruments, dancing and there is this cat. Moving on to the action sequences the usage of this black mystical creature is something that stands out and yes visually [like I have already said from an artistic perspective there is plenty to see and experience.] But from an action sequences perspective; this baffles sequence is okay for what it is; I mean it does what it is designed to do.

Character developments/Performances: well straight off the bat it wasn't too smart to separate Maleficent, Aurora and Diaval for a very high percentage of this sequel, when in the previous project these three characters/performers in different combinations or singly [Jolie] gave that title so much in the first place and yes I have already said that the Maleficent narrative is good.

But for the other two they either get put into a standard narrative for their character or hardly gets seen, so this is why I didn't feel comfortable saying the performers earlier, because it isn't their fault that they had been separated and when they are together in different combinations there is still good chemistry/friction.

Moving on to the newcomers to this sequel it ranges from if this is what they were going for this performer/performers gives it to them or good chemistry/friction and integrates themselves smoothly into this cast [yes it does depend where you are is depending what you get and I still feel nothing for another three returning characters/performers.

This film receives: 4/10, the more it dawns on me; the more I realize that they should have just finished off this different interpretation of Sleeping Beauty and gave Maleficent her own spin-off film title and base her narrative in this project on that spin-off film, on reflection I would have greatly preferred that to this.


No comments:

Post a Comment