Wednesday 18 July 2018

The Mummy 2017 by AverageMansReviews

The Mummy 2017 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: this title is mixed, I want to make this crystal clear this title just does enough to get pushed over from the poor bracket into the mix bracket.

Fundamental elements: there are cultural elements with and without subtitles, interpreter elements and why not have a character that couldn't speak English to begin with can suddenly speak English and then go back to not speaking English and I think it happens twice but I wasn't keeping count, words and numbers on screen, slow-motion effects, voice-over elements, place jumps and time jumps. I should now take a few minutes just to point out after the first 25 minutes roughly, my interest in this title was pretty much running on empty so it became a rescue mission for this title to get me interested again and secondly somehow I got through it eventually.

Artistic visions/Action sequences/Comedy level: now let's be positive for a little while from a visual perspective this title is very good, most of the time of what I can remember there is always something to look at and so on and so forth, moving on to the action sequences, these also give this project value in one way or another such as the underwater sequences, these show a very good imagination. The comedy level is mixed from this perspective, yes on one hand generally speaking it is comical, but on the other hand, if you are trying to make a sensible film or Universe [they may have to think about what kind of Universe they want to build,] meaning if you're going to have this level of comedy or elements of this comedy in one film, you cannot really have it in just one film you have to have a similar comedy level for it to be functional in your Universe [yes I am aware that another Universe develops there elements according to what characters are involved and their other elements, but briefly the other Universe has been miles and miles ahead of the rest for years now, so they have earned that right to do what they want when they want, I will be discussing the Universe thing later on.]

Performances: in a nutshell they are maybe poor to mixed [I don't know what to say,] because as I have already said I was struggling with this title.

Dark Universe: now this may be going off-topic slightly, but it will make sense eventually, why is everybody trying to copy the MCU [Marvel Cinematic Universe] and before anyone responds I am fully aware that it is big business financially, but my point is this; do you know why the MCU do so well at the box office? [It is a rhetorical question and there are many reasons,] but to be a little bit more specific now, the reason why they are doing so well, it is because they plan out every single title maybe years down the line, so they have this big jigsaw puzzle where they know this title goes there, that title goes there and they basically or roughly show more to this character or characters in this title and possibly future elements plus other things in this one title and then move on to the next title, but another Universe [I am coughing DCEU or whatever you want to call it] and this Universe feels very rushed or just trying to do too much without achieving much, you see I would have really limited the appearances of Henry Jekyll and his alter ego, something like this; maybe sit this character in a black chair facing away from the camera and only talking to the blonde character by telephone or getting one of his people to do what he asks, but all we can see of this character is maybe the telephone on a table and one arm and one hand may be do this no more than four times throughout the film and once after the closing credits so five times altogether [in the final scene this character turns around in his chair, slightly angry that something didn't work roles up his sleeves and says something to the effect of "If you want something done right, you have to do-it-yourself" and at the same time his eyes begin to change with that he stands up and leaves the scene. So when I released this film based on this character, the audiences have some knowledge of this character to begin with but just enough to get their posterior in the seats for his title.

You see I am already leaning towards being disinterested with this universe and it isn't just based on this film, I have done some research and I have seen Dracula Untold 2014 once and what I remember of it I wasn't to positive about it either [I will have to watch it again to review it,] at the time I remember hearing something to the effect that they were trying to make a Universe or something like that involving these characters but I didn't think too much about it at the time or there is always a possibility I had forgotten this; but either way [based on the fact I haven't seen this title for a long time I would like to say this; I could be wrong about myself not thinking too much about it, I am not backtracking just covering my back.]

This film receives: 4/10, I have put in one paragraph enough of what can or could be the positives to this project, other than this; this title is a mess and I am concerned how this Universe will move forward from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment