Monday 12 March 2018

The Limehouse Golem 2016/2017 by AverageMansReviews

The Limehouse Golem 2016/2017 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: this film is good, but it has or had the potential to be something more than what it is

Fundamental elements: there are time jumps, place jumps a words on screen with numbers, there are voice elements or voice-over elements I didn't know which wording to use here because there are some occasions where a character or characters voice changes [I can't say too much more than that] so I didn't know if to say voice elements or voice-over elements [so I have decided to put both here just in case I get something wrong or I missed something out,] even though I have rambled on when you come to watch this project this will make sense in one way or another.

But moving on slightly I couldn't find too much to criticize about this title, but having said that what I did find has an impact on a big scale, now don't get me wrong I get what they were trying to do here, by going backwards and forwards in time and places [into the present,] using different characters perspectives and so on. But it has to be said when this project has a transitional phase from any time or place or a different perspective or anything else that this film may do, it seems to struggle with settling down, I should quickly point out when it gets settled it is fine moving throughout the scene or scenes or sequence of the film. But then again as soon as the film moves to a different place or a different time, the problem will repeat continuously again and again.

Artistic visions: the costumes and their accessories, the landscapes and the other elements are all good.

Deaths: all I can say about these are they are of a visual and possibly uncomfortable viewing for some people, there are weapons and other elements being used but for myself I found nothing wrong with them [but it should be noted I have a very open mind.]

Performances: they are of a good standard throughout, but Bill Nighy as Inspector John Kildare, his performance is a massive influence on this film, you see his character developments are of a quiet yet intelligent individual that has the determination to find the answer, so when this performer/character is on screen the film uses his determination and drive to give this film a real sense of purpose and direction [in fairness there are other performers/characters that do assist with giving this film a sense of purpose and direction as well,] but putting that to one side for a moment, from my perspective this film does feel much better when Bill Nightly is on screen.

This film receives: 6/10, I feel comfortable with this figure because the fundamental elements are a big problem, yes I have said somewhere in this review once they have settle down they are okay but the consistent place jumps and other things don't do much for this title, but then again this title does have many positive elements to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment