Friday 21 May 2021

Pay-Per-View Rewind of: WWF/WWE SummerSlam 29/08/1988 Match 1/Part 1 by AverageMansReviews - Spoiler Alarm!

Pay-Per-View Rewind of: WWF/WWE SummerSlam 29/08/1988 Match 1/Part 1 by AverageMansReviews - Spoiler Alarm!

Chosen by: Me; I was just thinking I would take a look back at the olden days of the 1980's.

Warning/Disclaimer: there are flashing/colourful effects at the very start of this Pay-Per-View when the WWF acronym comes up and some point in this match slot with cameras going off and lighting. Disclaimer I have never been in a wrestling ring and never likely to be.

Match/Stipulation: The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers [Jacques & Raymond Rougeau - real life brother] vs. The British Bulldogs [Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid with Matilda the Dog:] Tag Team Match

Match Attributes:

Match Quality: 9/10

Match Storyline: 9/10

Crowd Participation: 10/10

On Commentary: Gorilla Monsoon & "Superstar" Billy Graham 8/10

Satisfying Conclusion: 3/10

Recommend Watch: 8/10

Match Total: 47/60 - this match is excellent

Comments: this is an excellent match,  I am just going to come out and say it; it makes me feel incredibly sad that we went from this standard of tag team wrestling in this company in 1988 to a complete and utter dumb stuff fire in 2021 on the Main Rosters. Now I am not a gatekeeper, but like it or not you have to ask "How the hell did we get here? But I digress I have two points; but in fairness and balance I could/can overlook one point; because of how excellent this match is, I mean don't get me wrong I would have still brought it up here, because it is still worth talking about it as I have done, but not the other because I have been around wrestling long enough to know I get it, but then again the more I think about it; it just irritated me.

Disclaimer: I am not or never have been or will be a professional wrestler; I could/can overlook this; aggressor Raymond receiver Smith back body drop; Raymond's changes his footing and body position [not parallel and straight; but diagonally instead,] so consequently on contact it looks like Raymond pushes off/up Smith's legs too much and he takes a stiff landing, he lands okay but you know as I have already said that it looked stiff.

Basic Result: Draw; I cannot overlook this; this is what I find annoying this is the first match in history of the first ever SummerSlam in history and they end it with a draw, like I said I get it [speculation on my part] this result protects both teams, makes them look evenly matched, strong here. So they can continue may be building something in the future, I don't know I don't look that far ahead and I am far from a historian on wrestling, so I could be completely wrong and yes if this match was in any other slot on the Card we wouldn't be here discussing this; even if they went with the draw I would be more like excellent contest, fair result and let's move on to the second match on this Card, but because it's the first ever match to open this future legendary Pay-Per-View it has irritated me, I would even take one of The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers using a steel chair to one of their opponents backs, but getting caught by the Referee [Joey Marella] so he has to disqualify them. But they still look strong and progress the feud.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment