Sunday 14 April 2024

Back to Black 2024 by AverageMansReviews

Back to Black 2024 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time

Warning/Additional Warming and Disclaimer: there is flashing effects/colourful effects/substance abuse/woman on man violence/bodily functions/homophobic references and transgender references. The additional warning is this; this is not a good look for Amy Whitehouse actually on reflection, if you have any positive memories of Amy you want to give this film a complete miss altogether as it will probably shatter them all together and now on to the disclaimer; I am not a fan of hers, but also I have no axe to grind, I just wanted to on one hand warn you that this content is going to get probably really uncomfortable reading and on the other hand unfortunately I am just going to have to say it as it is as a content creator and to cover my back for the future in this content, I don't care what gender you are I will treat you all the same, this will make better sense as you go through this content.

What was the point of this film?: Briefly; it takes its viewers through the rise of Amy Whitehouse [Marisa Abela:] a talented musician on the cusp of breaking through; followed by her ups, downs, further downs and then briefly up then down.

Generally speaking: the framework and pacing of this 122 minutes film well... this is not the problem it isn't just everything else; but for the framework and pacing it is one of those outlays that is or should have been reliably straightforward without any difficulties whatsoever, it shows what it wants to show; you know on reflection it is one of those outlays which is much, much, much so much more difficult to screw up, I mean all they had to do was move along the film and allow the content to play out, but then again it really would help if your content in question wasn't so damaging and consequently toxic and shattering [if you were in my content on a consistent basis, you would have picked up one usually I would put the storyline/script in this section sometimes. But as for this case; I have simply just split it down into the positives and yes this is where the positives end; so I am trying to give you a common courtesy if you want to stop reading here now I will understand, hopefully see you around sometime and in hindsight just before you go Lesley Manville as Cynthia Winehouse: Amy’s Nan is a all-round glowing positive to this film, be it as a character or/and as a performer]

The script and everything else; wow where to begin really? Wow this film depicts Amy as someone that couldn't I am just going to take the high road and say keep her underwear up and she couldn't even remember their names properly and disrespect them in her songs and a relationship wrecker, was against drugs but went out with someone that was into drugs [which I would have stopped the relationship on finding out this person was on hard-core drugs,] drank a lot [which in turn made her violent and before I get backlash let's keep in mind if it was the other way around some in our society would be outraged,] it doesn't even dawn on her to stop smoking even though someone had she apparently treasures is unfortunately dying of cancer, she was adamant on doing things on her terms, she is self-destructive with or without the person she wants, yes goes to rehab eventually but she doesn't clearly learn to attempt to restructure her impulses as she tells her father roughly she wants a drink, so as you can clearly see and I did warning that this film does not do Amy any favours whatsoever. Because as far as I was aware she had substance abuse issues and relationship issues and of course we have the tabloids which as always they want the biggest news, I am not condoning the tabloids, but by living her life way she did based on this film and version of events she pretty much gave it to them, I also was under the impression that she fell into the trap of this success came substance abuse, which this film shows it was already there. I know, I know this is going to sound incredibly harsh to some people, but based on this film she wasn't a victim of anything, she was the instigator or collaborative in some cases.

Character developments, performances and voice performances; as I may have already indicated by now Amy comes across as a really unpleasant person and if this is what they were going for well done you have achieved what you have set out to do, by discrediting the memory of somebody that can't fight back, the rest of the character developments for mostly the rest of them are solid versions of what they are meant to be and moving on to the performances they are once again on most counts if this is what you were going for well done; they are straightforward and reliable, but now we come on to  Marisa Abela; the person I want some of this content with pointed this out to me and once she did it dawned on me this individual was correct; Amy had a noticeable cockney accent yet this film version had no accent, but even putting that to one side this performance was you know I like to say or shelter performances by using the word poor, but in this case; it is terrible and yet again I have to give the person I watched this film with credit; they picked up on the lip-syncing of the songs, you see I was taking everything else in and now I think about it that is why I was getting a bit confused, because one moment it didn't sound like Amy and then the next minute it sounded exactly like her.

This film receives: 1/10, this film is poor; so I ask again what was the point of this film? Because it doesn't do anything positive to remember Amy, in fact all it does is show all her skeletons in her closet for the world to see for hopefully one last big payday maybe or potentially at the box office.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment