Friday 23 September 2022

Don't Worry Darling 2022 by AverageMansReviews

Don't Worry Darling 2022 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time

Warning: there is colourful effects/cutting/stabbing/suicide/suffocation/self-harm/domestic abuse/domestic violence

What a world we live in: we are in the 1950s with the status quo character developments to match, where the men went out to work for the Victory Project; the founder of this project is one Frank [Chris Pike] I should give you a little heads up this character is/does very much come across as a cult leader. But we meet Jake and Alice Chambers [Harry Styles and Florence Pugh] has he goes out to work and she is a housewife. We are in a suburban location with a high standard of living in luxury, but after what happens to her friend [again a friendly heads up; this is dark and you clearly get to see what happens here] to Margaret [KiKi Layne] has Alice bears witness to this, she herself asking questions and slowly but surely becomes like her friend Margaret.

The pacing of this 123 minutes film is steady, that is all I can say about it really as you'll find out for out the rest of this review; there is other things in play here which may be difficult to watch [yes I am keeping count that would be the third warning I have given you about this film, trust me if or when you see it in any way shape or form, only then you will understand " Okay, I get his warnings now."]

So let's begin with the positives; the artistic temperament on any level throughout this film, should absolutely be given high praise for on one hand it's originality on the 1950s components and on the other hand with the psychedelic components for an example the eye and everything in between.

Character developments and performances; the character developments are what they are, I will discuss this more slightly later on; on to the performances on reflection I would say they were good, but the one that puts in an excellent performance and I have no doubt will be finding more and more leading roles or partnership leading roles in her future projects is Florence Pugh; she puts in a powerfully strong performance here.

Now let's talk about the elephant in the room; without giving too much away there is in one way or another a lot of domestic abuse, yes I know this film is mostly based in the 1950s; yes it may have been more acceptable/frowned upon a little, but this film uses the 1950s outlook as a cover-up to make it acceptable to in certain extent.

This film receives: 2/10, this film is poor; once again on reflection I decided to give this film a higher mark, simply based on the positives I have mentioned in this review already. Unfortunately I can see a sequel coming out at some point in the future, there should be a sequel just based on how this film finishes things up. But I want to make this crystal clear I am not saying there will be a sequel and if I was in control of green lighting a sequel, I would very quickly decline. Because it will be a potential/more than likely social political nightmare in a nutshell it would be a case of men vs women and on top of that I have just realised that the title of this film is also very condescending towards women as well.

But here is an interesting point; the people behind this film are men and women; so I guess everything I have pointed out in this film is okay then? Story by Shane and Casey Van Dyke, Screenplay by Katie Silberman and Director/Performer Olivia Wilde [Bunny] and finally this film does have some awards accredited to its name as things stand as of this review/blog. 1 Winners Venice Film Festival 2022 Fanheart3 Award Graffetta d'Oro for Best Film Olivia Wilde. 2 Nominees Hollywood Critics Association Midseason Awards 2022 HCA Award Most Anticipated Film and San Sebastián International Film Festival 2022 Audience Award City of Donostia Audience Award Olivia Wilde.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment