Thursday 25 July 2019

The Lion King 2019 by AverageMansReviews

The Lion King 2019 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: this film is good

Fundamental elements: there are cultural elements, background music, no subtitles when another language is being used, slow-motion effects, mental imagery, interpreter elements, time jumps and place jumps

Origin storylines/Storyline: these are straightforward, but I have one problem with it, when did Timon & Pumbaa have all these other friends? Sadly I may as well give you a heads up right now this will not be the only time I will be discussing these two individuals in one way or another in this review.

Artistic visions/Action sequences: the artistic visions be it on a visual level or musical number level are really eye-catching, show great imagination as it relates to the musical numbers [including the background music] and their visual interpretation of each musical number. But they really did Pumbaa no favours whatsoever visually [in fairness and balance this character has other issues as well,] so I am not too sure if it is a mixture of those other issues and this one, which I will discuss these other issues in the next section or if visually like I have just said they have done him no favours whatsoever and what happened to the legendary Mufasa cloud image it wasn't in this version?

On to the action sequences; for one example I would just say this; they do the entire antelope stampede sequence proud [that is all I can say about it because I don't want to give too much away, yes I am sure at least 99.9% of you have seen this tragic yet legendary sequence from the legendary and iconic The Lion King 1994 version, but as most of you should know by now I don't want to give too much away or in this case I am trying not to give too much away regardless if 99.9% of you have seen it.

Character developments/Voice performances/Comedy level: just to give you a heads up this is where I'm going to be saying things as they are; which basically means I am still going to put this review across cleanly, but you will notice some differences so in short/straight to the point everything before Timon & Pumbaa's entrance is comfortably excellent, there is chemistry/friction between these characters [depending where you are is depending what you get,] the voice performances on any level put across these character developments, chemistry/friction and the comedy level which is multipurpose [for this example Mufasa is teaching Simba the art of stalking his prey and eventually the take down of his prey and the prey is Zazu [which he is not aware of this lesson/practice] which in this one sequence it covers these three points at the beginning of this paragraph perfectly.

The characters/voice performances on any level from these fully grown or seemed to be fully grown characters from the beginning of this title from Pride Rock to The Elephant Graveyard really understand their characters which shows itself in the chemistry/friction/comedy level as it relates to the hyenas throughout this project. Even when Rafiki was making no sense or speaking another language or something like this and I couldn't understand him in tiny elements, just to cover my back I could be wrong about this; but if my memory is correct he was well-known for doing this in the 1994 version as well [in human form he would be like a medicine man/wise man.]

Timon & Pumbaa I absolutely, strongly dislike these two versions of this legendary partnership, there is nothing remotely likable about them I think I might have had a little tiny laugh when they were enticing the hyenas but I think that was it.

Everything about these two characters is just wrong, it's like someone had gotten their legacy and smeared donkey diarrhea all over it, the character developments are so wrong, like Timon is meant to be the crafty, opportunist which comes up with most of the ideas [with sometimes taking some of Pumbaa's ideas as his own.] Then we have Pumbaa which has gas problems, he is soft natured at heart, but because of Timon's influence they often get into mischief or trouble he doesn't overly like doing anything wrong, he tries to keep Timon on the straight and narrow by nagging him, he is the muscle and don't call him "Pig" because he will get angry I will use a little bit of Pumbaa's speech from the 1994 version "They call me Mr. Pig"  [even though they completely and utterly messed this up in this version] they are in human form individually social misfits, but with their personalities/chemistry/comedy it creates a perfect equilibrium between these two characters for them to use with one another and whomever they come in contact with, but I have one more point to make that they had a self-titled spin-off TV program from 1995, so as you can see/read they are or were really popular in their own rights and what I remember they explored this relationship in this TV program amongst other things as well [or I think so it was in the 1990's but something is telling me in my memory they did this kind of thing in this TV program but just to cover my back again apologies if I have gotten this wrong, but what I can clearly remember is it was lots of fun.]

But these versions are [do I really have to talk about these two characters/voice performers] yes I am still going to be professional, but it is absolutely heart wrenching to see how poor they are [yes before you say it; I have been doing this kind of thing for many, many years so I have come to expect that these versions possibly weren't going to be as good as the original versions of them.]

But having said that it would have been good if they were in a similar ballpark to the original versions not miles and miles away from one another and if you are wondering how many miles are they a part from one another, well let me put it this way  2.7 billion miles [this is when Neptune and the Earth are lined up on the same side of the Sun, yes I researched this;] and this figure would just about cover the distance between these two versions of these characters and no this is no exaggeration.

They are self-serving, their chemistry isn't there, meaning the chemistry between these two is there, I could see it and it ranges from poor to painful to watch which makes it really surprising when they go to help Simba [yes I know this is what they are meant to do,] but because of their character developments/chemistry being what they are and not progressively changing [may be a small bit something like a pinch of salt when they are singing about three becoming two,] but other than that they haven't done the leg work between these two characters or trio throughout the years to make it natural or believable that Timon & Pumbaa would do this. I know I have said something to this effect once before in this review but it was absolutely heart wrenching and incredibly difficult to see what these two characters have been reduced to consequently it effects this trio of not having a strong bond or basically being like family [two uncles and a nephew] and these two performances are poor on any level and that is me being nice [so as I have already referenced to this; if Pumbaa had something more closer to his original personality if I could maybe overlook how they have made him look in this project, I just don't know and this is just speculation at this point because I have no way of finding this out, but as you should be able to tell by now I am so not impressed on how these two iconic characters have turned out] and whilst I'm on the subject their friends characters may as well not be in this project they do absolutely nothing in this title to make a positive impact, which I have just realized, these characters/voice performances are in essence a contradiction on what Timon & Pumbaa are preaching to Simba, briefly about looking after yourself and no one else, so if this is true what are these friend characters doing here? If it should happen that there are some people out there in Internet land that don't see these characters as friends, you are firstly more than welcome to have your own opinion but if these characters are not friends, why are they eating with Timon & Pumbaa and secondly being in a musical number with them if they were not friends?

On to the characters/voice performances which we can see have grown in this project the voice performances feel like they are doing their job, but in fairness and balance they can sing.

This film receives: 7/10, I don't know what to say here because even though this mark from a scale of 1 to 10 is reasonably high obviously, from where it starts to where it finishes, this film had the potential to be so much more, I really didn't feel the same about this title after Timon & Pumbaa's entrance, I must stress it isn't just them, but they are the key point where and when this film slips down the marks, you couldn't get much more worse than these two versions of these two legendary characters, so after this section this project stabilizes at this mark, now I have seen this film the way I feel about it isn't going to change, so if I had the choice I wouldn't watch it again [meaning if I was in a date situation or something to this effect or somehow I lost this review,] I would watch it again but other than that no.

Last updated: Friday 26/07/2019


No comments:

Post a Comment