Saturday 12 January 2019

Punisher: War Zone 2008 by AverageMansReviews

Punisher: War Zone 2008 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: this film is mixed.

Fundamental elements: there are voice-over elements, mental imagery, cultural elements, background music, no subtitles when another language is being used, slow-motion effects, time jumps and place jumps.

Artistic visions/Action sequences: there are comic book elements at the beginning of this film, these are good and I should point out from an artistic and an action sequences perspective to put it as cleanly as I can; I am just going to say these are visual. Now moving on to the action sequences there are combat elements and plenty of weapons being used as for two examples; the first one is where our lead role hangs upside down from this chandelier and goes around and around like [a rotor from a helicopter] shooting everything in sight and the second example [this is something for you to look out for] our lead role uses this rocket launcher.

Character developments/Performances: the character developments are mixed, yes there is chemistry between the two brothers and the character Paul Budiansky seems to be a solid character, I would say a cliché or a stereotype but then again which character isn't a cliché or a stereotype in this film [and before someone points this out yes I can say that about any film or project, but they are hard versions of clichés or stereotypes in this title] and don't get me wrong there is chemistry between our lead role and the young girl, without repeating myself too much this in itself does feel like a cliché or stereotype. Now my next point is going to sound really awkward, but this is one of those points where I'm going to say this; if this didn't happen in this film there is no way I would be discussing it. Now right at the end of this film we have our lead role standing at the top of these steps and behind him is this church and before he dishes out more punishment some of these lights go out on this cross [as if someone or something from upstairs is saying something like this; I am turning my back and whatever happens, happens or something to that effect, [I went back and had a look you are looking for the word or words "JESUS SAVES" in a cross formation and the word JESUS goes out, just to cover my own back I would like to say just one more time if this didn't happen like this; I wouldn't be discussing it in this review.

The performances generally speaking range from poor to mixed to doing their job, I usually don't make a big song and dance about this, because as long as I get through the films or projects who cares how I do it, but in this case I will make an exception, there are some points in this project where I had to put the subtitles on to understand what was being said or catch what was being said, I think there was one occasion where the Italian language came up in the subtitles un minuto [rough translation one moment/wait a moment/just a moment/there are other interpretations or meanings,] but this character did switch from English to Italian [said these words] back to English again, but when I had the subtitles on Italian was spoken in another scene or sequence three times nothing came up which I did expect or something like "Speaking Italian "would have been useful but then again why did it come up in the first place in the previous scene, when I took a look back over these elements I picked up on some other things as well, many people speaking Italian as one character enters a room and on top of that a spot or spots of English or American English was spoken and the subtitles didn't pick up on it [in the interest of fairness and balance I don't care if it was a background character or a character in this title when you speak anything it should be in the subtitles or description like for an example "People speaking Italian."] I should just point out I am guessing they are speaking Italian I done some research on un minuto, it came up with it was Italian I have enough trouble speaking English, so I could be wrong as it relates to the background characters and whilst I am on the subject I think there are two spots of English or American English being used in the same sequence, it is difficult to pick up on because it happens so quickly but there should still be subtitles but then I could be wrong again.

This film receives: 5/10, there is only one way I could finish this review and it is by making this point; if they were to mix elements of The Punisher 2004 and this version they might come up with an excellent film, but individually as they are they get the same mark [I didn't plan for this; it just happened this way.]





No comments:

Post a Comment