Tuesday 20 November 2018

Resident Evil: Afterlife 2010 by AverageMansReviews

Resident Evil: Afterlife 2010 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: this sequel is poor.

Fundamental elements: there are voice-over elements, cultural elements, background music, mental imagery, yes to subtitles being used and no to subtitles being used [over these speakers when this place is under attack,] words on screen, slow-motion effects, time jumps and place jumps.

The more I think about it, the more I don't like these fundamental elements, they are heavy in their usage and if anything they fragment this sequel. Well the most easiest place for me to begin would be the background music it is loud and dominating and let's not forget the special effects or the slow-motion effects, these can be a mixed bag for me to be fair [many Alice’s good idea, the stoppages for 3-D effects not such a good idea or once again to be fair and balance I think that is what these elements were used for having an educated guess, but I could be wrong.]

The transitional phases now and again from scene to scene or maybe different location just seems to reinforce my idea of some kind of fragmenting, let's just say this sequel struggles with keeping momentum, I am not saying that this sequel doesn't have momentum, but what I am saying is; there are moments where the viewers could have signs of this film finding its groove and then it being picked up and taken somewhere else and then having to establish its groove again somehow, which to be fair to this project the longer it stays somewhere or have a cluster of scene or sequences in one location or for an example a scene or sequence which is nearby then it has a possibility of establishing itself again.

Action sequences/Artistic visions: now on both counts there are some good elements, the many Alice’s or another sequence is where Alice is jumping off this building with this cable and the Axeman character is interesting, everything about this character either looks really good or this character brings something to the table be it interesting about him or action sequences which are positive elements to talk about. [Now on a quick side note and it should be noted I am not deliberately finding fault with this sequel, but his weapon looks closer to a sledgehammer then an axe, I'm just saying and don't get me wrong I still like his weapon, sledgehammer or axe in a nutshell without giving too much away, you will not be able to miss it] and do I really need to point out there are plenty of weapons being used.

Performances/Character developments: briefly to begin with I am going to say most of them range from poor to mixed,. But having said that I am now going to be focusing on some performers that either may the best of what was given to them or  different factors have to be taken into consideration; Jovovich, I was going to give you a long speech on making this point, but then I quickly changed my mind to something like this; she carries this project in one way or another and what I mean by different factors have to be taken into consideration [all I am going to say is this; go and read the fundamental elements again.] Because without going on and on about them, they do not exactly help the situation or situations, I don't know if it is because I have seen many projects throughout the years, but I have got enough experience to pick up on these occasions where maybe in this case a long-term performer/character is just trying to proceed with making their instalment of their franchise work on some level. Larter and Miller, the best way I can put this would be this; when these three characters/performers are consistently working together this is where this title [without saying too much I feel more comfortable saying this when a character remembers and that is as much as I can say about that and the other, the more time this character is on screen the better.] But after this; this is where this sequel seems to find a little bit of stability and forward movement.

This film receives: 3/10, now after taking everything into consideration I couldn't justify anything higher or on the other side of the coin I did think anything lower was a little bit harsh.




No comments:

Post a Comment