Thursday 28 September 2017

Scream 2 1997 by AverageMansReviews

Scream 2 1997 by AverageMansReviews

Review Time: well Ghostface is back for a second scream, I have to be honest with you and say this title feels better rounded than its predecessor.

Death sequences/Background music/Cheesy moments: now usually I wouldn't group three elements together, but in this case these three elements have one thing in common and that is; they do nothing for me whatsoever. Death sequences, I can take them or leave them yes I am aware that there is a car sequence of events with Ghostface driving the car, but still my interest wasn't interested.

Background music, I can understand why they use it especially before and during a death sequence but other than that did they have to use it so much, it is one of those things if you notice it once and I do mean just wants you will continuously notice it [just for one example there are some occasions where this character [Dewey Riley] has this background music, I think it happens twice in this film, but to be fair every time I hear it mentally I switch off [I think they use it just before and during when he enters the scenes] I really, really just don't like this music.

Cheesy moments, well there are quite a few but one of the most noticeable is where this character [Derek] begins singing a song whilst another character [Mickey] informs when asked what is he doing? He replies something to the effect of "Tom Cruise Top Gun 1986."

Cast: now let's just put those three elements to one side for a moment, the cast are all likable or they give something to this project. The returning characters have better developed personality traits, it is a good mixture between them being themselves and having some experience of what is happening again. Their dialogue exchanges are sensible or realistic to the scene or sequence [meaning where in the original at some point all these characters got irritating,] this time around these annoying conversations or comments are not here, which makes this film easier to get along with from a viewing experience [on a side note I have to confess the fundamental core to this project is much better as well,] you see without these annoying conversations or whatever, the fundamental core feels less heavier and more freer to just keep this sequel better grouped together [in a nutshell move throughout its scenes putting things in and taking things out when it is necessary to do so.]

Newcomers, Jada Pinkett Smith as Maureen Evans and Timothy Olyphant as Mickey, these two performers are individually either really interesting, their personalities and dialogue exchanges always seem to have a purpose to them and as it relates to Pinkett Smith her dialogue exchanges are slightly comical as well.

Talking about films: this element gets better used in this sequel [minus one sequence which I have already made a reference to in this review] from many different characters in this project, so when it gets used at some points in this title, instead of feeling like an almost separate element [in the previous film title] in this sequel it gets more screen time which in turn keeps this film nicely fresh for longer [I have to say this film doesn't feel or look so old as the original does,] I mean yes it looks vintage but there is a difference between looking vintage and just hard to watch by today's standards [in 2017.]

This film receives: 78% approval, now I think this percentage just about feels right, because there are some elements that I can put up with but if I had the choice I would prefer they weren't in this sequel, but on a positive note there is still lots of fun to have by watching this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment